Saturday, January 21, 2006

Best books EVER, part 2

OK, so I never finished my list of top ten books, not that its important or that anyone cares but its my blog, so what I say goes. (BTW, the post will be apostrophe-free today, since my computer freaks out every time I try to type one. Stupid computer.)

6) The Calvin and Hobbes comic books, by Bill Watterson. If you dont know the joy that is Calvin and Hobbes, I pity you.

7) Beauty by Robin McKinley (not one of the Black Beauty books). I started reading Robin McKinley books in 6th grade - she's a young adult fantasy author - and I still occasionally re-read this one (to my great embarrassment). It's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast, published before the Disney movie came out. Shut up.

8) Dracula by Bram Stoker. I love vampire books; this is of course the original. Yes, I am an unrepentant dork. What of it?

9) The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling. I wasn't sure whether to include this, as I was trying to stay away from children's books - that's a whole nother list. But since I'm reading these as an adult and enjoying them in my own adult way, I think it's OK.

10) The Blind Assassin by Margaret Atwood. I think perhaps the only book on the list I haven't re-read ten bajillion times (aside from H.P. books - they're too new), maybe because I enjoyed it so much the first time that I don't want to spoil that feeling. Also, it's long.

It has come to my attention through the making of this list that my reading habits are slovenly. Books I love I re-read over and over again, thus making it more difficult for me to discover new books. But I think I'm getting perhaps a smidge better at forcing myself to read something new, rather than grabbing the trusty stand-by off the bookshelf.

p.s. You may notice that my apostrophes started working about mid-way through the post. WTF?

No comments: