Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Yeah yeah

...so it's been a whole week since I last updated. See previous headline. My excuse this week is that I'm moving on Saturday, plus I've been wicked tired lately. Probably the depression. Anyway, speaking of moving, as I was packing up my books in anticipation of the big move to the building next door, I realized how many books I own that I haven't read yet. Some of them are of the category where I'm like, "Crap, I really need to read this one", whereas others are of the category like, "Uh, why the hell do I have this?"

I'm looking at you, Memnoch the Devil. To be honest with you, I cannot even remember where or when this book came into my hands (surely a sign of evil), although I think it must have been during my misguided Anne Rice phase. At some point I had read Interview With a Vampire, which in my defense is actually a decent vampire read if you like the whole vampire thing, which I do, and I foolishly went out and bought The Vampire Lestat, during the reading of which I had to tape my eyelids open in order not to be bored into a coma. And thus ended my love affair with Anne Rice. Which really does not explain how a copy of Memnoch the Devil came to be in my possession, nor does it explain why I seem to have hung onto it all these years later. I guess what I'm saying is that this book is Satan.

Anyhow. I've gotten completely off track. So did anybody else read Library Journal's article on new librarian salaries? It came out in October so it's a bit outdated, but basically it says that I'm a big loser and everyone else is doing just fine with their MLS degree, so why don't I shut up and stop whining for the love of God? Don't bother reading it unless you want to anger yourself, because it reiterates all the same bullshit they told us in library school: be patient; be willing to move to the middle of nowhere, even if it means leaving your spouse and children behind or displacing your entire household to some God forsaken hellhole just so Mommy can live out her dream of earning a decent salary for once in her life; be willing to suck it up as a paraprofessional for several years if you foolishly attended library school as a twenty-something without substantial work experience because even though technically a master's degree is required to be considered a professional librarian, what no one will tell you while you're in school is that what really matters is having a shitload of experience. Oh, and if you can manage it, go ahead and move to the Southwest because that's where library jobs seem to be booming, but be prepared to live off of $33,000 a year, despite the usurous student loan payments you're making to pay off your pretty little degree and the thousands of dollars you spent to uproot yourselves and your loved ones.

What I'm saying is, don't read the article.

No comments: