Wednesday, September 20, 2006

First things first

My pirate name:



My pirate name is:


Dirty Ethel Vane



You're the pirate everyone else wants to throw in the ocean -- not to get rid of you, you understand; just to get rid of the smell. You tend to blend into the background occaisionally, but that's okay, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!

Get your own pirate name from piratequiz.com.
part of the fidius.org network


Second, things at work have gone from really, really bad to OH MY GOD THAT SUCKS. Just playing a waiting game now, which actually I've been doing since I took this new job and frankly I'm getting pretty tired of it. I find it interesting that the library management seems to think it's perfectly acceptable to keep dicking us around, promising us that new and exciting jobs are just around the corner, then yanking the rug out from under us repeatedly. We've now been given "temporary" assignments, since they decided on Friday to officially cancel my department, starting now. Um, thanks. They seem to forget that each of us applied for this job specifically,not just for any old reference desk job in the library. So now I'm just trying to decide when to hand in my notice; I was going to wait until I had an offer in writing from my old job, but now I honestly don't know if I can stay at the other place that long.

Anyway, may this be a lesson to all of you: beware a change of library management. Actually, beware of jobs that don't deliver what they promise within 30 days of starting. The really sad part of this whole story is that I felt in my gut all along that this was going to be a huge mistake for me, and lo and behold, it was. But no, being the good little soldier I am always trying to be, I kept going, hoping that things would change when all the signs were pointing to a dead end road. So. The moral here: it's OK to change your mind if that's what your instincts are telling you. I didn't have a crystal ball; I couldn't know before accepting this position that it was going to suck ass through a straw. But after a couple of weeks I could see that very clearly, and I should have gotten out right then.

Bah. Humbug.

No comments: