Sunday, May 06, 2007

DC, I hardly knew ye

I guess it's now semi-official--the BF and I are moving back to the Northwest at the end of June.

Let's all breathe a sigh of relief.

I'm not quite sure what will happen with this blog after that point since I won't have DC to rail against anymore, but I'm pretty much a born complainer (no! you say), so I'll probably be whining and moaning about my life in this space for a long time to come. There might be a bit of a hiatus for a while after we move, though, since for at least a month or so we'll be living along the fringes of Middle of Nowhere. We're not exactly sure where we'll be after that, although we are thinking of going back to Tacoma for a bit. We still have friends in the area, we know it well, and it's cheaper than Seattle. And I might have a job prospect there, but it's too soon to know for sure and I don't want to jinx it by saying anything else.

This weekend has erased any doubts, if ever doubts existed, about my determination to get the hell out of here. For two consecutive nights the BF and I hung out with people from various internships he's held while living here, and since his degree involves public policy, all the people were very bureaucratic, entrenched DC-types. Not a single one of them could understand why we would want to move to, of all places, the Pacific Northwest. They know we're from there, all of our family and friends live back there, but still, they couldn't see the logic.

And this is why I want to move.

One person in particular kept asking us, "Isn't it going to be hard to find a job out there? What are you going to do for work?" (As though there are no cities or government institutions or industries in the Northwest, just vast open wasteland. And lumber.)

This is why I want to move.

When BF told him we don't like it here because everyone out here is so career-driven, he laughed skeptically, then proceeded to talk about his job for three more hours. Three loooooong hours.

This is why I want to move.

I need to be able to talk to people about more than my job, because my job a) isn't that interesting to talk about, and b) sucks. And I need to know that I am more than just my stupid boring job. I need everyone else to know this, too.

Here is my bulletin to the the little buzzing worker bees of DC:

PEOPLE. THERE IS MORE TO LIFE THAN WHAT YOU DO FOR A LIVING, OR HOW MUCH MONEY YOU EARN.

So yay! I get to move!

P.S. I guess I should also mention that the BF successfully completed his master's degree, which is why we finally get to move.

No comments: