Monday, October 10, 2005

Apologies to Nabokov

So I finished reading 'Lolita' and now I see where he was headed; I feel bad for doubting him. Yet another example of why I suck. Anyway...I have made another Brilliant Observation regarding life, the universe, and everything, and it is this: there seem to be only two kinds of jobs in this world - those that overwork a person to the point of burn-out, and those that bore one to the brink of insanity. I, obviously, am currently engaged in the latter of the two, but I just have to wonder why the working world can't be more balanced. If I think back, it seems to me that every single job I have ever had has been a member of the boredom party. Is it me? Am I attracted to jobs that require so little of me? I don't know. Maybe it's just the jobs I get offered - I have so few skills that I only get the ones where the highest qualification is a pulse.

And now for the weather report: we've been blessed here in Northern Virginia with a couple of cool (read: low 70s, high 60s) days, and finally I can walk outside without feeling like dying. Yay!

Unfortunately I have nothing left to talk about now. I haven't seen any good movies lately - I've become a Netflix drone and the entire third season of Six Feet Under has been clogging my queue for the past two weeks. I like the show and all, but I'll be glad to start watching something about the land of the living again. And I'm happy to report that next up in my queue is the American version of The Office, staring the lovely and talented Steve Carrell. I'll let you know what I think of it, of course.

No comments: