Friday, March 10, 2006

Finally, something good happens

This morning, for the first time since I began interviewing for post-library school positions, and possibly the first time ever in the history of my life, I actually had a good interview. I convinced myself beforehand that I had no shot at this position, and besides that, I didn't really want to work at the library anyway (very urban, very gritty). So with these low expectations in mind, I wasn't really that nervous going into the interview, figuring I would just blow it off once it was over and forget it ever happened.

But then. Ah, then. I had instant rapport with the interviewers, who were nice, relaxed and professional; I answered all their questions smoothly and intelligently, with nary a stammer; and, unexpectedly, the interviewers seemed charmed by my responses and genuinely impressed with my background and skills. See, you guys? It does pay to have low expectations.

Now you're saying, "Oh, Hack, you practical joker, you." This is all an elaborate set-up for the joke, right? About how awful it was? Nope. I swear to you, it went really well. And there's not even a second round of interviews - one forty-minute chat, and now I just have to wait a week to ten days to find out if I got the job.

The only catch? Ok, there's more than one. First, I haven't told my boss yet that I went on an interview (not after she practically cried the last time I told her I had one). Also, like I said before, it's a public library, and very urban and run-down. It would be a depressing place to work. And I would still have to work rotating evening and weekend shifts, in an area of the city where I would actually feel threatened for my safety walking to the metro station after dark. BUT. It would pay a hell of a lot more money. It would be an honest-to-god librarian position, with lots more responsibility and more interesting things to do than I currently have. I don't think there's really any question that I would jump at this opportunity if it were given to me.

So. Yay. I feel pretty good about this one. I'm crossing my fingers.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! We're rooting for you here in Vancouver--I hope you get that job!

Even though the library you applied at is in a dodgy part of town, the work will probably be interesting and you will have your fair share of "you wouldn't believe what happened at work today" kind of stories. Better than the mind numbing, hit-your-head-with-the-keyboard kind of job you have been blogging about recently!

hack said...

Thanks, Vancouver posse! I know you got my back.