Saturday, February 25, 2006

Oh, you know you want it

I've been racking my brain all morning (so about three hours), for a good topic to write about today but sadly, nothing has really come to mind other than to name my picks for the Oscars. Now, you had to know this was coming so it's no use complaining. But of course, when one makes these kind of predictions, there is always the pull between naming who we really WANT to win, and naming who we think will ACTUALLY win (I'm using the royal 'we' here). So I think I'll make up two lists--one for who I want, and one for who will really get it. If my predictions are right on the second list, someone owes me a Coke.

P.S. I don't predict the meaningless catagories like Best Animated Short. As if I care.

Oscar Picks 2006 - If We Lived in a Perfect World

Best Picture: Crash
BF and I had a discussion about this, and my argument went that the two most socially important movies of the year, out of those nominated, were Crash and Munich. And I'm speaking of globally important, not just important to Americans. Thus my elimination of Brokeback Mountain. While I think that is a lovely and haunting film, and very important and ground-breaking for stupid Americans who can't seem to understand that homosexuals might just be humans like you and I, I personally didn't come away from the film feeling like my opinions had changed on anything or that anything in the movie really made me take stock of my values and preconceived notions of the world (but then I'm a Commie bleeding heart liberal, so I realize it's just me). However, Crash and Munich did all of the above for me. And yet, being the stupid American that I am, Crash spoke to me a bit more than Munich, so I have picked Crash as best picture.

Best Directing: Ang Lee
I know the logical choice here would have been Paul Haggis for Crash, but you really have to give Ang Lee, a Chinese man from Hong Kong, props for capturing the essence of western/cowboy culture to a T.

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman and Heath Ledger
I said this is if we lived in a perfect world. I can't choose between the two - they were both excellent in their own way.

Best Supporting Actor: Matt Dillon
Again, for Crash. The man just deserves some recognition.

Best Actress: I can't really vote in this one because I haven't seen all the movies, but I'd like to see Felicity Huffman win.

Best Supporting Actress: Amy Adams
She was hilarious, sweet, and stupid without being over the top.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Have only read In Cold Blood, so I can't really vote here.

Best Original Screenplay: Crash

Oscar Picks 2006 - Reality

Best Picture: Brokeback Mountain
I think it's one of the few all voters will have seen, plus it's gotten the most press and most awards thus far.

Best Director: Ang Lee
They rarely give these two awards to different films.

Best Actor: Philip Seymour Hoffman
This was a toughie - I just deleted my first answer (Heath). But Hoffman's gotten a lot of accolades, and Capote is really his movie.

Best Supporting Actor: Paul Giamatti
Again, another toughie - I think Matt Dillon also has a chance, but Giamatti has a slight edge since many think he was snubbed for Sideways last year. Jake Gyllenhaal might be able to slip in as well, hard to say.

Best Actress: Reese Witherspoon
I think it's between Reese and Felicity Huffman, but I don't think as many voters will have seen Transamerica. Keira Knightley is too young, Charlize Theron just won a couple years ago, and Judi Dench has been awarded before (plus has anyone actually seen Mrs. Henderson Presents? I didn't think so).

Best Supporting Actress: Michelle Williams
I think Brokeback Mountain just has a lot of steam, plus she did a good job.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Brokeback Mountain, since it will sweep everything.

Best Original Screenplay: Crash

So everybody watch next Sunday and be prepared to laud me for my keen intuition and insight.

No comments: