Sunday, February 12, 2006

Somebody get me a career coach, stat

I didn't get an interview for a solo librarian job in Cheyenne, Woyming. Let me just repeat that for you: rejected for a job in Cheyenne, WYOMING. WY-BLOODY-OMING. Did anybody else actually voluntarily apply for this job, other than me? Does anyone live in Wyoming who wasn't born there or wasn't forced for some reason to live there at gunpoint? I know that I shouldn't feel so bad, considering that I myself do not actually want to live in or near Wyoming. But this does not bode well. Oh, and let's see: also apparently rejected for the humanities librarian position at U of O, and things don't look well for the job I interviewed for last week (which, lest anyone forgets, was a paraprofessional position). The more I think about the interview, the worse of a feeling I get. I knew at the time that some of my answers were just plain bad, and I could feel the words coming out of mouth, knowing that they were wrong and not good and wanting to stuff them back in again, but alas, it was too late. They were already out there.

I'm thinking now that perhaps, maybe, quite possibly, I have chosen to enter the wrong profession. Exhibit A: I do not actually like people, and in fact am of the opinion that most people deep down just plain suck. And quite frankly, I don't care whether or not they ever find the information they are looking for. I chose librarianship as a profession because I wanted to work with books and was pretty sure that the book-editor thing was never gonna happen. It wasn't until I entered library school that I realized the majority of what a librarian does these days does not have anything to do with books, and in fact librarians are the few people working in a library who actually do not handle books on a daily basis. And the technical services jobs are getting fewer and fewer by the day, as more of those duties are being done by library techs who do not have to attend two years of graduate school and thus do not have to waste their lives. Exhibit B: I am apparently not qualified to do much more in a library other than pick my nose, and let's face it, I can probably do that anywhere. It doesn't have to be in a library.

I am badly in need of a pep talk. Anyone? Anyone? Buehler?

No comments: