Wednesday, September 21, 2005

I can't take rejection

Today I would like to address the reject letter. More to the point, I would like to address the newest trend in rejection, the reject email. I've received as many or more reject emails in my job search thus far than I have traditional letters, and this bothers me. First, I should acknowledge that I realize why reject emails are all the rage--they're quicker, more convenient, less expensive, and less formal (thus, I suppose, meant to decrease the sting of rejection) than reject letters that come through the mail. However, it is the great convenience and informality of these emails that I find distasteful. They are akin to dumping someone over voice mail. If I am going to go to the trouble of preparing for an interview, lose a few hours' sleep the night before fretting over it, buy expensive interview outifts and get all dolled up in pantyhose and a jacket in 100 degree heat, I think the least an employer could do is slap a stamp on an envelope to let me know I didn't get the job. Yes, it means there's an extra 24 hours of suspense while the post office delivers it, but when it's been six weeks since the interview, I'm pretty sure you gave the job to someone else. All the letter does is tell me that someone took ten minutes out of their day to open up a Word document, type out a form letter, print it out, fold it, address an envelope, seal it, and drop it in the mailbox. An extra ten minutes is all that I'm asking for, and a little ink and a stamp. I think they owe me that much.

But I will say that a reject email is preferable to total radio silence, which is just lame and unprofessional (NASA, I'm looking at you). Anyway. I finished reading 'My Life So Far' by Jane Fonda, and while I tihnk she may be kidding herself a little bit about the repercussions of her trip to North Vietnam, all in all I found it fascinating. I also just finished reading 'The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency' by Alexander McCall Smith, which was also sweet and enjoyable. Not life shattering, but a nice little read. I think I will continue reading the books in the series. Right now I'm between books (I hate that), but my personal library--consisting mainly of paperback books with a yellow 'Used' label on the spine--arrived in the mail a couple weeks ago, so I might go through my books and find something I haven't read yet or re-read something in my 'collection.'

No comments: