Monday, August 15, 2005

And now back to MY problems

Well, I hardly feel like I can complain about my own life after yesterday's post, and yet I will anyway.

Right now I am struggling against falling into the classic Torpor of the Unemployed. This is what happens to you when you've been unemployed for going on 3.5 months now, have been buried under a pile of reject letters (more on this later), and at this point applying for another job holds about the same appeal as climbing Mt. Everest. I mean, it looks like a good idea in the abstract, but when you sit down and really think about it, is it really worth all the agony and the effort? Probably not. This is a bad place to be, because not only does it make me feel like I need to take a nap every day at 11 a.m., but now I feel like I don't even want to work anymore. I just want to continue borrowing money from relatives and wear down the ol' credit card, watch TV, read books, write my little blog and forget about that career thing. My only resistance against this disease is my volunteer work, which I am now doing four days a week but which makes me grumpy every day I have to go.

And as I mentioned earlier, the rejection notices aren't helping anything. So last week I found out I didn't get the sucky 6 hr/week Sunday position in BFE, didn't get another position I interviewed for, and apparently am not going to get called back for the LIAR position, either. I know we all could have predicted that one, but a small part of me still held out hope, especially since I sent them my one official transcript that was supposed to be for my own records. I think I'm going to ask them to mail it back to me. It's the least they can do.

I did go to the second round of interviews for the woman who wouldn't tell me her name and she was a little warmer this time, but apparently there is a third round of interviews and I don't know if I will be invited back or not. Yes, three rounds of interviews for a Librarian I position - seems absurd, doesn't it? One of the positions is part-time, did I mention that? (There are two available.) But now I'm at a point where even though the job pays for shite and I doubt I would even like it, I pretty much have to take whatever I'm offered. *Sigh* Well, at least I'm not in grave danger of being murdered with a machete (as long as I stay out of Northeast DC).

No comments: