Saturday, August 20, 2005

Things I hate

You know your life is boring when you've spent the majority of the day sleeping. I just couldn't think of anything better to do. I like sleeping because it's free, convenient, and is an activity I can do without slogging outside in the disgusting, drippy weather that defines August in DC.

Since I'm feeling grumpy and homesick today (how unusual!), here's some things I hate about DC:

1. The weather. Obviously. Murderously hot in summer, deathly cold in winter (so I hear).

2. Everyone who lives here works for the government, or for law firms or lobby firms. Which means the place is crawling with Republicans.

3. There are no neighborhoods here as you would think of them in Vancouver. There are residential zones with houses only, commercial zones with businesses only, and then there are high-rise apartment complexes.

4. Parks are defined differently here as well. Here, a 'park' is a 10 ft by 10 ft square plot of ground with a couple of scrubby trees and some benches where homeless people sleep. Undoubtedly these are also popular places to make drug deals.

5. No beaches (or mountains) in sight.

6. Palpable racial tension.

7. Georgetown, one of the livelier and more uppity neighborhoods in DC (think Kits, only with more Banana Republics and narrower sidewalks) is a bitch to get to. It's about two miles away from my apartment, but takes me 45 minutes to get there.

8. No Chinese markets for fresh fruits and vegetables.

9. There is no casual dress here. If you're not wearing designer, you might as well be scrubbing toilets.

10. I just hate it, OK?

Happy Saturday, everyone!

No comments: