Tuesday, August 02, 2005

A Day for Rejoicing

No, I didn't get a job. But I did get my computer in the mail, and I am so happy I could weep. My files, my lovely files! I never thought I would be so happy to see them. This means that I can now start using my new LCD monitor that I got as a grad present from my BF. And it means that I can finally stop using the hand-me-down piece of crap laptop that has been my only means of communication with the outside world for the past three months. It's a small victory, but a victory nonetheless. [For the uninformed, my computer was being held hostage by my BF's parents. Long story.]

In other news, I just realized that I spelled the word 'genius' wrong in my first post. Perhaps this is why I don't get more job offers.

But now I'm gonna bring the room down for a minute. Today has been a stressful day, not because I've had any shite interviews or more people calling me a liar, but because I now realize I'm going to have to make some tough decisions pretty soon. You see, I've been applying not only to full-time salaried dream jobs, but also crap jobs to pay the bills. But if I get one of those crap jobs, the dilemma then becomes: should I take it so that I no longer have to suffer in poverty (well, I'll still be in poverty, but perhaps slightly less poverty), and thus ruin my chances of being able to interview for anything else? Or should I hold out for something better, with the knowledge that I may be holding out for quite some time and may not in fact be able to make my next rent payment? What is a girl to do?

Just another note from the Annals of the Unemployed. I'd like to write more tonight, but I have to get up reasonably early tomorrow, so I'm off to bed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Stephanie:
As a fellow recent MLIS graduate, I face that very same question. What on earth to do (read: how to play this stupid game)and my only advice is to hold out if you can. We have worked hard for this degree and need to give ourselves as many chances as possible to make something of it.
You do rock and you rock as a librarian too. Hang in there and stay cool.