Tuesday, August 16, 2005

How not to offend me

I just counted, and as far as I can remember I have now applied for roughly 35 jobs since May. I don't know, maybe it's me, but this seems like a lot. This is why I'm getting just a wee bit tired of well-meaning acquaintances trying to offer me 'helpful hints' on the job search process. First of all, saying things like 'Have you checked with all the libraries yet?' freak me out a little inside. 'Well garsh, is that where I should be looking? Don't I feel like the idiot!' So unless you are in the library profession, don't even begin to tell me where I should look for a job. People seem to think that just because they may have been to some libraries in the past and maybe even checked out a book or two, this means they know about the library profession. You don't, OK?

Secondly, suggestions like, 'Maybe you're setting your sights too high,' also show complete ignorance regarding the hierarchical system of most libraries. I can and in fact I have applied for library assistant positions, but I never hear back about them because people with MLIS degrees simply do not work as library assistants. It's like someone with a JD working as a legal secretary. It just does not happen. So please, stop trying to offer me advice. Making ignorant, condescending remarks like those above imply that I am either too naive or too incompetent to conduct a job search on my own. Hell, maybe I am. But the point is, these kinds of things are not helpful to people who are already chronically depressed about their lack of emplyoment.

Now that I've finished preaching to the choir, moving on to filthy jokes. BF and I saw 'The Aristocrats' on Saturday and were highly amused. If you enjoy stand-up comedy and filthy jokes you should really see this movie. Otherwise, stay as far away from it as you can, because it will offend you and you will be disgusted. You may even have nightmares. Next I want to see 'Junebug.'

And as long as I'm just rambling here, I finished the Rwanda book and also finished 'A Girl Named Zippy.' The latter is pretty fluffy and I didn't get into it until the second half, but it made a nice counterbalance to 'We Wish to Inform You.' 'Zippy' was amusing in its way, but I don't recommend it unless you're really interested in memoirs about life in small-town Indiana in the 60s and 70s. Now I'm on to 'The Blue Shoe' by Anne Lamott, whose non-fiction is hilarious. I've heard that her novels are not quite as entertaining, but I'm holding out hope.

No comments: