Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Fear and Loathing in Arlington

I'm in a bad mood today because I have an interview this afternoon in Alexandria, and it's going to be a pain in the ass to get to. I've decided to take public transportation rather than drive, which means leaving my house at 3:00 pm to insure getting to the interview on time at 5:00 pm. I have to take the subway and change trains twice, then I have to take a bus from the subway to the library, which only leaves every half hour and takes a half hour to arrive at the library. I could drive, but given the time of day and the route I would have to take, which appears to be fraught with potential for getting lost, I can't really stomach that option. Also, I might as well admit it, I have a driving phobia. I am Stephanie, and I fear driving. Actually I only fear city driving, but it has become somewhat of a crippling illness of late, not to mention a bone of contention between the BF and I. Am I the only one? I never drove at all during my whole second year in Vancouver, yet I did not have problems getting anywhere. I hate this flipping country.

Now I feel slightly better. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the worst part of this whole expedition. I am interviewing for a SIX HOUR A WEEK position. Why do I even bother, you say? I don't know.

I'm also pissy because I volunteered to do some cataloging for a non-profit in my free time, only to find out the whole thing is very disorganized and un-library like, but now I'm committed. We are going to be cataloging (get this) in an Excel spreadsheet until they decide what kind of software they want to buy. Irritation level=10. By the way, anyone have a spare copy of AACR2 you want to lend me? Didn't think so.

OK, one last thing - I changed my settings so that anyone can post comments, not just registered users. And I know I promised that the whole blog would not just be one long rant about finding a job, so I'll try to be cheerier from now on. Over and out.

No comments: