Thursday, August 18, 2005

We are not alone

A friend of mine brought this article to my attention, which proves that I'm not as big of a loser as everyone thinks I am. It also proves that, yes, in fact our MLIS program was a big fat joke and did not actually prepare us for any career, let alone a library one. So here's to SLAIS - big waster of two years of my life and about $22K!!

Although the article was comforting in a way, it was also kind of a downer. It means that while all of us new grads are feeling the pinch, it's not going to get better any time soon. How long should I wait before I start looking for a job outside the field? And what kind of job would that be? I've already proven time and again that I can do absolutely nothing.

Which brings me to my next item of business. It was suggested to me that perhaps my last post was a bit harsh. And I will admit, maybe I crossed the line from sarcastic to hostile. However, I think my point is still valid - unless people have some sort of concrete help to offer (i.e. a job), the best way to comfort an unemployed person is simply to provide ecouragement or sympathy. 'Hang in there,' is so much less rage-ifying than 'Why don't you call some law firms?' [And I won't stop slapping you long enough to explain why this last comment is offensive if you say it to me.] And also my tirade was not really meant for anyone who would be reading this blog, but it was just something I wanted to get off my chest about people out there in the world (mostly relatives and older parental-types) who don't understand what we're going through.

OK, 'life-is-shite' talk is now out of the way. I just wanted to mention that I am quite enjoying my Anne Lamott book. She has such a wonderful, funny way of describing people and their quirky behaviors. Here's a quote:

'Mattie noticed how many secrets she kept from William, so that he wouldn't see her as someone with a lot of problems. She wanted him to see her as someone with just a few pieces of colorful carry-on luggage, instead of multiple body bags requiring special cargo fees and handling.'

And no, it's not chick lit (the very moniker of which I find offensive). The novel is a little light on plot - things don't happen to the characters so much as the characters evolve over time. But that's OK - I was never very good at plot myself. And anyway, she's such a witty writer that you don't really notice.

And that's all I have to say about that. Stay tuned tomorrow for a report on the concert I'm going to tonight (anyone heard of Gogel Bordello?).

No comments: